Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Budget Blues

I find myself reflecting on my written budget and realizing once again that budgets are hard for me to maintain. Why are budgets so elusive for some of us?
Apparently, busting the budget is more common than you might think. A quick search of the internet reveals that currently across the country towns, cities and states are busting their budgets related to the treacherous and recurring weather events across the country.
According to writers at www.Selfgrowth.com, "Busting the budget" is a common pitfall in personal budgeting; frequently busting the budget can allow consumers to fall into pre-budgeting spending habits. Anticipating budget-busting events (and underspending in other categories), and modifying the budget accordingly, allows consumers a level of flexibility with their incomes and expenses.
The fact is that debt-to-income ratio is a real sucker punch to any budget. Depending on how you transitioned out of your divorce, we all have to think of creative ways to finance our post-marital bliss.
As for me, I kept dial-up service up until about 3 years ago because I figured that was one way to save money and it would be a constant reminder that I was on a mission. Unfortunately, I eventually "needed" wireless service for "work at home" purposes. I did get the wireless internet service, but I also dropped the land-line at the same time.
Now that's just one example of a minor belt tightening measure. How about shopping options for a used car rather than a car with years worth of payments left or how about apartment hunting? You can start the hunt on-line and do some comparisons between what you pay now and what you could pay in a new apartment/rental house/condo/farm...whatever. Whatever the case, the search on-line is "free" and it could even be motivating. Perhaps enough motivation to weather those budget blues.
As for the towns, cities and states, they will come knocking at our doors to shore up those busted budgets soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment