Saturday, January 18, 2014

Humor and Feed Yourself


Can you spot the difference? Well aside from the fact that this was my lunch at work and it does not necessarily look like the average lunch one would have at work.
I have to admit this lunch threw me for a loop. Coming off my slow paced holiday break from the office, I thought I had finally adjusted back to my work schedule. Part of that schedule entails prepping and bringing morning, snack and lunch items to work. Apparently, in my mind when I brought/bought this lunch bowl on sale for $1 it was nothing more than a glorfied ramen noodles in a plastic bowl.
A big pat on the back goes to the marketers of this brand because I was really reeled in by the tantalizing chicken pieces and the vibrancy of the fresh green onions. The morning of my meal prep I thought nothing of tossing this along with my teas, chocolates, yogurt, snack bar, spoon, fork, papertowls and tangerines into my lunch bag. Had it have been the ramen noodles I would have 1) been mentally prepared for ramen noodles 2) I probably would not have brought it for lunch and/or 3)I would have brought some embellishments to add to it.
Point being, there are great ways to prepare your "away from home meals" for the day and save yourself money in the long run by not buying breakfast, lunch, and snacks at the corner deli, food chain, or other franchises that like to beckon for our daily dollars (the ones we really don't have to waste). Just like any discipline, there are times you are going to splurge, but consider what is going to be your norm. I honestly can say after seven (7) years at my day-job, I can probably count the times I have bought lunch(and for that matter breakfast too as a lot of people at my job buy breakfast).
Besides, if you are in the business of lunch networking you can save those splurges for those times where you are building your future/brand at a luncheon event or a networking lunch; eat at your desk or lounge on the rest of the work days with the satisfaction of knowing your hard earned dollars are not being eaten up by inflated store prices. And for those of you readers who are thinking "I skip lunch or breakfast" or "I cannot afford them so I don't even eat," think about how that is working for you and how that is working for your body. Divorced moms (heck, all moms) have to stay healthy because there is so much to juggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment