Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Perhaps a Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed

Looking back at 2013, I learned early on in my quest to be financially responsible that the needs and desires of others would come into play during the course of my journey. Just two days in to the New Year and I had been approached for financial assistance/support from a friend. Hopefully, what I am sharing may resonate with some of you. While I am on my personal journey to right my ship, others on the outside may see circumstances differently and call upon you, as I was, for some help. In the words of Judge Judy:
"Don't cosign,ever."
But, if someone looks at you as responsible to lend a hand, consider that an ego boost for your own goals. Sit and brainstorm with the person about the help they are looking for and if it comes down to monetary help consider 1) if this is a situation where this is clearly intended to be a gift 2) if this is a situation where you are fairly confident you will get paid back (I'll talk about the method in a future post) and 3) ask yourself what this person has done for you in the past that makes him/her confident to ask you for help now. Number 3 is what sold me on helping my friend.
Thankfully, I can say nearly one year later that I am one month shy of being paid back in full (again I'll talk about the method in a future post.) Happy 2014!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post!

    I truly believe in not co-signing for anything. As a divorcee I new I could not financially take on someone else's burden if they didn't follow through.

    ReplyDelete